Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Fill My Cup Lord (day 3)


This post is dedicated to a dear friend and teacher affectionately known as Mama Jean.  The teachings of this 91-year old lady over the course of last year inspired today's writings.  Many of these ideas were things she taught and many others are things I learned as a result of her teaching.  May the Lord bless you with many more years of teaching, Mama Jean!

One of my favorite days of the week is Thursday because at our house, Thursday morning means Morning Grace.  Georgia and Amber go to a nursery class and play with other little ones their age.  Gracie goes to her homeschool class and learns lots of wonderful things under the care and watch of Ms. Lovey.  Ross is also in a homeschool class learning about the book of Leviticus and the customs and ceremonies of the Israelite priests with Mrs. Ashe.  And I get a few hours reprieve from being wife and mom to just be a daughter of God, refreshing my spirit, worshipping my Savior and learning how to have a closer walk with Him.

Mama Jean has been my teacher at Morning Grace for most of the time I've been there. Last year she taught a class called "Fill My Cup Lord". Using a teacup or coffee mug as a symbol of our hearts, we talked about all the things that we in our cups that prevented us from being filled with all God had for us - a heart full of bitterness or unforgiveness or anger or fear, stains in our cups that represented past sins we had not confessed, cracks and chips representing hurts and trials we had been through. Sometimes our hearts are shattered and God has to form a new cup, molding and shaping us through the trail into something even more like His image. Once our cups are empty of ourselves, there is room for God to fill us with more of Him. We can have joy overflowing, peace that passes understanding, strength for each new day.


As we discussed these things in our class, I thought of my teacup collection at home. My mama started buying me Old Country Roses teacups, saucers and other matching dishes when Ross was born. My demitasse teacups are very small and delicate. They are very beautiful to look at and look lovely on my table set for tea, but most people are hesitant to use them because they are afraid they might break.

When I first became a Christian, my "cup" (my heart) was a lot like that demitasse teacup. It was pretty to look at and others were impressed by it - "Oh you are such a good Christian lady" - but it was delicate and easily broken. The first little trial I faced left it chipped and cracked and not as pretty as it had once been. It was also small and with so much of me still filling the cup, there was not much room for God to lead and direct me. He needed more of me than a little demitasse teacup could hold. And so He broke me - not because I was not good enough, but because He loved me enough to make me something better, something He could use in a mightier way. Through many years of teaching and guiding and disciplining me, through many trials and hurts and disappointments, my cup has changed.

Today my cup better resembles an old stoneware coffee mug. It's nothing pretty to look at, but I'm less concerned now with how others see me and more concerned about how God sees me. It's not as delicate as before, but its strength makes it easier to walk through the storms of life. The biggest change though is in its size. The tiny little teacup has been replaced by a cup that is deep and wide, able to be filled with the things God has for me. My Christianity is no longer something to occasionally put on display in order to impress others. It is a faith that I live out everyday.


What does your cup look like? Whether your heart resembles a delicate teacup or a sturdy coffee mug, we can all be used by God if we will surrender to Him. All He asks is that we allow Him to fill our cup.





No comments:

Post a Comment