Thursday, September 23, 2010

Home Matters

This fall I'm taking a class called Home Matters.  It focuses on how to organize and rid your home of clutter, making it a beautiful and peaceful place for you and your family to enjoy.  As we go room by room through our homes, we are learning some spiritual applications along the way.  I wanted to share my home's transformation through the course of the class session with you on the blog.

Last week we concentrated on our front porch.  I finally put away an empty bubble container and a whole collection of assorted bubble wands and toys.  I also grabbed the bag of phonebooks left on the porch and put them away.  The last thing I did was to gather all the little containers of insects I had sitting in various places on the porch and combine them into one jar.  Ross and Gracie are collecting insects for an insect board for co-op, but more on that in another post!

Once I cleaned up the clutter, I started thinking about how to spruce up the area.  Our front door is navy blue and is a little scuffed and dirty after six years of going in and out, so a scrubdown and paint touchup is definitely in order.  Same goes for those faded blue shutters!  I've tried in the past to create a little seating area on my porch but still never go out there to sit.  I decided the back of the white bench out there leans back too far and isn't very comfortable so I never want to sit there.  So I am going to spruce up two of my patio chairs from the backyard (think cheap plastic stacking chairs) with some spray paint and a cushion and put them in the seating area instead.  Then I'm going to move my tea cart from the kitchen to the porch to hold outside necessities (like bubbles!) and give me a place to put my glass of wine while I'm out there reading or journaling or spending a little time chatting with my hubby.

Stay tuned for pictures!! And join me this week as we concentrate on the living room.

If you'd like to follow along with the Home Matters class, visit their blog at http://www.homemattersbecausehomematters.blogspot.com/ for summaries of the lessons and ideas from class members about what they're doing in their homes.

No comments:

Post a Comment