Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Back to School

We started school this year earlier than ever before! Today marks day two of our fourth week and we are having so much fun this year!!  We are using an excellent curriculum package from My Father's World that combines Bible, Latin, History, Science, Art and Composer Study into one well rounded, connected study.  Our time period this year is Rome to Reformation, so we are up to our elbows in mosaics and Caesar right now.  What an amazing time in history, leading up to the birth, life and death of our Savior.  It's been so interesting to connect people and events in history with the Scripture and see the events leading up to the life of Jesus.  I can see the faith of my children growing deeper and more sure with every connection they make.

One of our favorite times together is Art.  We are using a wonderful book called God and the History of Art by Barry Stebbing.  First we are learning the foundations of good drawing - lines and circles and ellipses and shading.  I have agreed to go through the assignments with my children and it has become something I love to do outside of our class as well.  Sketching and coloring and shading are very relaxing and give my mind time to think and wander in a way that isn't allowed in my normal hectic routine.  What a gift it has been to me!  And what a lesson to my children, a reminder that a love of learning can continue to teach you things throughout your life.  Never stop learning!!

Hope your school days are starting off well.  I would love to hear your back to school stories! Do you have any traditions or special memories of going back to school?

No comments:

Post a Comment